We embarked on a two-week writing cycle this week in English, focusing on the video of the Girl and the Robot, with the end goal being an official UCPS Police Report of the disturbance reported in an underground cellar, where a particular invention was being worked on…
The first step, was the interview the witness – the inventor herself – and transcribe the conversation. Year 5 roleplayed the conversation between the Police Constable and the Girl, then used this as inspiration for their plan and final write up (playscript-style). Next week, we will be writing up the incident as a formal police report.
Our handwriting focus this week was handwriting for different purposes: joining p and b, no ascender: bu, bi, pe. Our spelling words were build, bicycle, peculiar, rebuff, biannual, perhaps.
In maths, we started the week by revising long multiplication; short division; column subtraction and multiplying/dividing by 10,100,1000.
We were then introduced to “chunking” and applying it in long division, dividing by 1- and 2-digit numbers.
Key vocabulary for our topic: android, humanoid, mechanical, mechanism, coding, automatic, robotics, guidance system, device, robot pilot
- Monday 2nd March 2020 – Visitor from The Cambridge Centre for Computing History talking to year 5 & 6 about Humanoid robots (and bringing along a few!)
- English – writing a formal police report
- Maths – working with decimal numbers
- Guided Reading – History of AI
- We have finished Mandarin now (first half of the academic year) and will now be going back to French.