… they were all used to investigate scaling in maths this week!
Yes, that’s right, our maths lessons took an adventurous turn as we investigated scale factors and reducing/enlarging items by a certain scale factors. We use scale factors when we talk about increasing the size of a 2D shape. The size by which we make the shape larger is described by its scale factor. For example, this rectangle has the measurements 5cm and 2cm:
If we increase this rectangle by a scale factor of 2, we double both the sides:
If we increase the original rectangle by a scale factor of 3, then we multiply each measurements by 3 to end up with this shape:
Here are some photos of us investigating scaling through scale factors this week in maths:
We start our maths lessons with Daily Maths, which covers a range of arithmetic skills like that in the home learning videos we produced. If you would like to practice daily arithmetic skills with your child at home this website has a range of problems (and solutions!) for every day of the year. We recommend starting on Bronze!
In English, we moved forwards with our plans to create a video message about the impact of fast fashion. This involved, thinking about how to repurpose clothes (by trying some on!), writing persuasive sentences and paragraphs that we can use in our final video and starting the filming itself.
Monday 3rd May 2021 School will be CLOSED for Bank Holiday Monday.
- Writing Journal: the stimulus images for the week will be different animals, linked to our science topic of Living Things including Humans.
- English: we will be filming and reviewing our video messages about Fast Fashion.
- Handwriting & Spelling: Our spelling words last week were: knot, not, enough, mail, male, probably, meat, meet, height. Our spelling words next week are: quarter, question, recent, regular, reign, rain, remember, sentence, separate.
- Maths: we will be continuing to work with scaling and scale factors.
- Science: Looking at the human digestive system.
- Topic: Comparing the fashions in Tudor and Victorian England.
Year 4 Book Club: the next Book Club sessions will take place on Friday 7.05, 14.05, 21.05. An email with the Zoom link was sent out a few weeks ago.
- Amazon: PE on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- Nile: PE on Mondays and Wednesdays.
- Thames: PE on Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Please can all children make sure they have their full PE kits in school for their PE lessons.
- Children in KS2 may bring in a healthy snack that contains no nuts.