Well, we’ve come to the end of our first term together. Thank you all for your support and understanding, and we hope you have a restful and enjoyable Christmas break!
We started off our week with an enjoyable pantomime, streamed virtually to schools across the UK. The whole school watched at the same time, and took part in many “it’s behind you”, “Booooo!” and other classic panto-lines!
In English, we looked at a range of poems including:
- Free Verse
- “When” poems (not an official term, something we’ve created ourselves! A poem that begins with “Christmas is when…” and then utilizes adjectives, adverbs, nouns and verbs to list what Christmas is.)
We developed our winter-themed vocabulary in the next lesson and created our own poem, which we then wrote up for our Christmas cards that were made in Art last week. One of those Christmas cards will be coming home, one will be going to bring cheer to a local care home. Thank you to the children for all of their hard work on this!
In maths we finished off our times table focus with the 12 times table and then put our new-found times table knowledge to good use by creating a times table board game!
Guided Reading saw us looking at three familiar stories, including The Elves and the Shoemaker, Why the Evergreen Trees Never Lose their Leaves and A Christmas Carol. Our Guided Reading lessons involve lots of “Find and Copy” practice, e.g. “Find and copy a synonym for happy” or “Find and copy three adjectives that describe the main character.” This is something you can practice at home, with any text!
We’ve had a fantastic half term with not only Art lessons, but Forest School as well! We finished off our Forest School cycle by reflecting on our learning so far and writing a recount about our experiences.
Some messy learning about non-Newtonian fluids in Amazon class.
Next term, our topic is Fashion. We will be focusing on the following on the first week back:
- English: Exploring elements of the documentary Stacey Dooley Investigates: Fashion’s Dirty Secrets and writing our learning out in a non-chronological report.
- Maths: Area and perimeter
- Handwriting & Spelling: Our spelling words for the first week back are: length, library, material, medicine, mention, minute, natural, naughty, notice.
- Science: Digestive System (humans)
- Guided reading: we will be reading the Hundred Dresses.
Key vocabulary for next term: planet, fast fashion, industry, garment, sustainable, fibres, cotton, pesticides, fertilisers, eco-friendly, disaster, catastrophe, problem, environment, consumers.
Key information for Year 4:
Please could you keep any old clothes (shirts, t-shirts, jackets, dresses), ready for our fashion topic. We will be asking the children to bring these in for a D&T project.
- Amazon: PE on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.
- Nile: PE on Mondays or Wednesdays.
- Thames: PE on Wednesdays or Fridays.
- Children must bring in a coat to school.
- Children must bring in a PE kit for PE lessons and appropriate clothes for forest school.
- Children in KS2 may bring in a healthy snack that contains no nuts.