Short and sweet this week has been, but we’ve been busy learning and doing as always!
We embarked on a two-week focus in English, that of debating. Our focus statement on which we based our lessons this week was: “School is where you learn best”. The children explored both sides of the debate and put their skills into practice.
This week we focused on the features and skills of debating through a standalone topic, next week we’ll be implementing this as part of our topic looking at the British Empire.
Maths involved an exciting combination of the 10 and 5 times tables as we began our week counting in 25s. This descended into negative numbers for the rest of the week. You can find our worksheets below:
We continued with the story of Rama and Sita in Guided Reading. Here are our “find and copy” worksheets:
Forest school was an exciting adventure this week as we learned how to use loppers. We also made musical instruments using the resources around us and invented our own forest-themed songs!
- English: Research the British Empire and conducting a debate surrounding British Colonialism.
- Maths: Timestables and multiplication methods.
- Guided Reading: Continuing with the story of Rama and Sita.
- Handwriting & Spelling: Our spelling words for next week are: certain, circle, complete, consider, continue, decide, describe, different, difficult.
- Science: Continuing with states of matter: solids, liquids and gases.
- Computing: Continuing with our new coding project, WeeBee.
- RE: Buddhism is our R.E. focus for this half term. We will be exploring it through the question: Is it possible for everyone to be happy?
Key information for Year 4:
- Amazon: Forest School on Wednesdays, PE on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.
- Nile: Forest School on Tuesdays, PE on Mondays or Wednesdays.
- Thames: Forest School on Thursdays, PE on Wednesdays or Fridays.
- Children must bring in a coat to school.
- Children must bring in a PE kit for PE lessons and appropriate clothes for forest school.
- Children in KS2 may bring in a healthy snack that contains no nuts.