This has been another milestone week for us in Reception. We have wowed our teachers with our appetite for phonics as this week we have started hearing, saying, reading and finally writing letters. This week we have focused on ‘s’ and ‘a’, to help us with our teachers used the ReadWriteInc letter cards which remind us to ‘slither down the snake’ for the letter s and ‘go round the apple and down the leaf’ for the letter a . At the bottom of the page there is a link to a handy sheet that might be useful to share this learning style at home. We have had so much fun in the outdoor area hunting for hidden letters and ticking them off on our sheets.
This week our story focus has been on Handa’s Surprise, we have been talking about the fruits in her basket and writing shopping lists of fruits that we enjoy. To do this we have been learning the skill of using a picture word bank to find the fruit we like and copy the letters using our developing mark making skills. We based lots of our number work on the story too, especially in an activity where we tried to finger paint the correct number of fruits by each bask (one to one correspondence).
An exciting development this week as been the grand unveiling of some new areas in our outside learning space. This has been because we have learnt to use the other areas so well and are ready to experience new toys and activities in our outside playful learning. These new areas have been…dressing up and role play, adventure trim trail, and den building materials. We can’t wait to see what other areas will open up soon.
- Thank you for all parents that were able to attend the EYFS information evening last night. We hope you found the event informative.
- As mentioned in the talk yesterday, the children will be bringing home their first school reading book next week. This will be on Tuesday 10th October. Look out for the accompanying letter explaining expectations and ideas for support.
- Phonics sounds – ‘t’ and ‘p’
- Retelling Handa’s Surprise through drama and role-play
- Number play 0-6 (recognising simple quantities by sight, eg reading 5 on a dice without the need for counting)
Link to ReadWriteInc formation guide-
Handa’s Surprise at Cambridge Junction-