What a busy first week back! Reception children have been super excited to start their new topic-‘Animal Kingdom’ and there has been some great disscussions about why so animals make great pets and others don’t. Children enjoyed the focus story ‘You can’t take an elephant on a bus’ so much that many decided to become authors and write their own versions; we had some fantastic ideas like, ‘You can’t take a whale on the underground’ and You can’t take a snake on a skateboard!’. Other learning this week:
- We have been writing about what would happen if we had a safari animal for a pet.
- We have been learning to measure the length of animals using non-standard measurements.
Our rainbow challenges have allowed us to:
- Paint one good pet and one bad pet.
- Sort animals into our own catergories and write a label for each
- To locate and write as many tricky words in our reading book.
- Explore different musical instruments and sounds on the iPad.
- Get creative outside with chalks and draw animals on the ground.
Next Week the focus will be on extending our vocabulary about Safari animals whilst looking closely at patterns and weight.
Focus Book: Spots or Stripes? By Vasanti Unka
Phonics Focus: oo-(boot) oo-(book)
Rainbow Challenges Next Week: Yellow: Describe the animals in the scene then writng noun phrases on a post-it note and stick it to picture. Red: To use mixed media to create animal patterns. Blue: To select a picture of an animal then choose different objects to measure it, record it on a chart. Green: To create a stage outside and use musical instruments to put on a performance. Purple: To listen to the music and move like different animals.
Walk to School Competition
Defeat school run congestion and pollution with a design competition!
This is an incredible opportunity for your school to take part in a fun, engaging and educational competition. The 11 winning designs will be turned into more than 400,000 badges, made from recycled yoghurt-pot material, and will feature across the 2019/20 WOW challenge. The winners will also receive:
- WOW resources for their school
- Winner’s trophy
- School gate banner
- Bespoke press release from Living Streets
This year’s fantastic theme is INVENTIONS THAT CHANGED THE WORLD! Please return designs to Miss Glenister (Skylarks class) by end of day Wednesday 13th March 2019.
World Book Day:
Next Thursday (7th March) is World Book Day. We are not inviting children to dress up for this day as we want the focus to be on the pleasure of reading.